Do you REALLY want to Order Your Orthodontics Online?
Technology is awesome, isn’t it? We can do so many things these days with the click of a button. Order shoes. Get a ride across town. Watch your favorite blockbuster movie. Click! Done! It seems like every day there’s a newer and easier way to do almost everything. We’ve been programmed to accept that anything can be ordered online and delivered right to our front door. No hassle, no fuss, great quality. However, at Drs Sellke & Reily, there is one thing we believe has no easy online replacement: There is no substitute for a trained, experienced professional when it comes to your smile or oral health.
The American Association of Orthodontists (AAO) agrees. The AAO just issued a Consumer Alert listing key questions to ask about direct-to-consumer orthodontic companies – aka companies that allow you to order your orthodontic treatment with the click of a button. You can download a print-friendly version here.
The issue is that many direct-to-consumer orthodontic companies do not involve the specialty evaluation or treatment planning we provide at Sellke & Reily Orthodontics. In most cases consumers are given aligners and that is it! Hope for the best! Continuous evaluation of treatment progress is essential to a successful, quality result. Those seeking to minimize visits (why wouldn’t you want that) have the ability, in our practice, to receive weekly remote monitoring using an app downloaded on your phone. This allows many weeks between in office visits along with comprehensive WEEKLY evaluation never before possible.
What do you really want from an orthodontic experience, anyway? We believe you want a great new smile provided by a specialist in the field, in the least time and with the least inconvenience. We also understand that you want to receive care in an affordable manner. We can give you that as well!
Worst of all, treatment not done correctly can lead to potentially irreversible and expensive damage such as tooth and gum loss, changed bites, and other issues.
With These Facts in Mind Let Us Provide You the Following Top 10 Questions To Ask When considering Orthodontic Care Provided by the AAO
The AAO advises that you consider them before choosing care at direct-to-consumer companies like SmileDirectClub, Smilelove, Candid Co., Orthly, SnapCorrect, etc:
- As part of your treatment, are comprehensive diagnostic records like x-rays taken before your treatment?
- As part of your treatment fee, do you receive any in-person visits to a dentist’s or orthodontist’s office during your treatment?
- Is only one treatment type offered (such as invisible aligners or a certain appliance)?
- If a dentist or orthodontist is involved with your treatment, do you know the name of the dentist or orthodontist who will be specifically involved with your case (for example, is it available on the company’s website or elsewhere)?
- What are the possible risks (financial, health, etc.) associated with your orthodontic treatment?
- Who is responsible for detecting any issues that may occur during your orthodontic treatment? Is it you? If it is a doctor not associated with your treatment, who pays for those check-ups?
- If a doctor is involved with your orthodontic treatment, how can you contact him or her over the course of your treatment? How can you contact him or her if an emergency arises?
- If an emergency arises, does the company have a dentist or orthodontist in your area that you can see in-person? If not, who would cover the costs associated with seeing a dentist or orthodontist in your area?
- If you are injured or have another dispute involving your orthodontic treatment, how is it handled (litigation, arbitration, etc.) and what rights do you have?
- Does the treatment model comply with the dental laws in your state? To check your state’s dental laws, click https://www.aaoinfo.org/state-laws-and-regulations. Information for your state dental board can be found at https://www.aaoinfo.org/aao/state-dental-board-info.
Where You Receive Your Health Care Is A Very Important Personal Decision
Remember that orthodontic treatment is not a product or device – it is a professional, medical service. Dr. Sellke, Dr. Reily and Dr. Kats are all specialty trained and licensed. Additionally, Dr Sellke teaches orthodontics at University of Illinois, and worldwide. Why take a chance on your health when you can receive leading edge care, conveniently and affordably, by doctors living in your community?
Please do some research and include in it having a complimentary in-person consultation at Sellke & Reily Orthodontics. We can’t wait to meet you.